The return of real music
So I'm a pretty big fan of mainstream "conscious" music. Which means I'm a big fan of Common, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco.. and more. I just recently bought Lupe's new album called "Food and Liquor" the best buy of the year for me as far as hip hop goes. Lupe, whose style is notably different than other rappers in the game today, was raised in Chicago's notorious westside. He said he could look out the window and see a prostitute on the corner, and then turn around and see his mothers shelves of National Geographic and Malcom X paintings when he was growing up. Coming from where he's from I would think that his lyrics would be about the hood and what he's seen in his days, or about his new car and chains that he couldn't afford when he was coming up. Boy would I be wrong if I thought that. Lupe's style is different than other rappers; he raps about skating, growing up without a father, and criticizes the hip hop game for demeaning women and it's bad influence on society. With lines like "hustle for death, there's no heaven for a gangsta," its obvious that his mind is a bit different than other rappers out today. His first single "Kick, Push" made black kids all over the world think skating is cool.. I bought a skateboard after listening to it. If your looking for something different to add to your music collection that isn't a rap about the newest dance or about how much street credibility someone's got or drenched in untasteful talk degrading women check Lupe Fiasco out, he's the reallest dude in the game right now. Listen to the lyrics and you'll be sure to feel him. Lupe's Myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=20957761

1 Comments:
great post, great album
Post a Comment
<< Home