Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The future of books

The future of books lay in our hands, and I really don't feel that we want them gone. If we want to see them in the future we need to buy them today. Things stay in the market if there is a demand for them. Unfortunately it seems that today's advanced technology is threatening the future of books as a necessity. It is now possible to download full text of books on the Internet. The problem with that is this is that lugging your computer around all over the place isn't as convenient as having a book to read whenever you feel like it. Comparing computers to books, it is more convenient to have a book in bed or when on public transportation. Plus not everyone can afford computers, especially laptops. Since we are on a college campus we see more laptops, but it is still very common today that people only have one desktop computer for their whole household to share. It is difficult to read on the computer if your fighting for time that you can use it. For these reasons I feel that books will be around for years to come.

Now for the question of whether or not I am going to hand down books to my grandchildren, that's a negative. I have a hard enough time holding on to my books from a year ago let alone the ones from 15 years ago. Also it takes up useful space keeping children's books if you don't have children. I wouldn't throw them away though. There are yard sales, garage sales or donations that could greatly benefit from my books so I would gladly give to them instead. Also there is Amazon where you can sell a book that you don't want anymore easily. But for sure books will be around for a while. Just because computers are making it possible to do basically anything nowadays, doesn't mean that they are the most efficient at everything. And in the case of reading novels or studying text books, computers are definitely less convenient than books.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jessica Chavez said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home