Thursday, September 07, 2006

Who got the Moon Man anyway?

Although it is a little late, I feel the need to talk about last Thursday's MTV Video Music Awards. I've been watching MTV since the 90's and I have always been a fan of the award shows. But now I realize year by year, it gets to being less and less about the actual award.
More attention goes to the stage setup, the host, and the performances than the artists whose video was the best of the year. Don't get me wrong, if there were no performances and a bland host I probably wouldn't tune in either. But let's not make that the focus. The show loses its purpose more and more each year. This year's show had too much scenery and not enough actually going on. The banners on the wall matched every word said, and the seating on the stage just took away from whats really important. It's an awards show. Shouldn't it be about the awards? When the best dance video award is given out to to The Pussycat Dolls in a category that includes Madonna and Shakira, I know something has gone wrong. Unfortunately each year it will keep getting more and more off focus until the point that I don't even tune in anymore. As soon as artists win awards based on talent and not because they were #1 on TRL's countdown then I will watch the show again. But until then, fairwell Video Awards. I once knew you well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home